Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Carrot Soup

Print Friendly and PDF
Easy peasy carrot soup!


As with most weekend mornings, my sunday morning started with a power cook.  It's when I have the most energy to chop, cook and clean, many times over.  It's my favourite time in the kitchen, and afterwards, have prepared, healthy food for my family for at least a few days.

One of the recipes I made this morning was my Mom's carrot soup.  It's really easy and simple to make and the flavour of this soup is amazing.  It's not always easy to get my kids to have their quota of vegetables every day and this soup sure helps!

carrot soup

5 cups water
2 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
1/4 cup basmati rice (for paleo, simply omit the rice.  It will still be nice and creamy)
1 onion, chopped 
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste

  1. Put all ingredients in a large pot.
  2. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
  3. Let it cool for a bit, then blend in food processor, blender, or with handheld blender until smooth.
  4. Return to pot, add salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Heat and enjoy!  
Rice tips: There are many different kinds of cooking rices out there.  Make sure to use a rice that cooks in less than 30 minutes.  
                If I have cooked brown rice in the fridge, I use 3/4 cups of it instead of the basmati rice, resulting in an equally smooth textured soup.


No comments: