Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Famous Chicken Fingers / Tenders (Gluten-Free, Paleo, SCD, Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox, Candi)

Print Friendly and PDF
Occasionally, while on a specialized diet, a person only wishes to have "normal" food.  You know what I'm talking about: pizza, a fresh sandwich, moist chocolate cake, and the list goes on... for the most part, it's possible to replicate close to and sometimes, better than,  the original comfort food.  Yes, it comes with more steps than taking it out of the box and baking!  That is just something we can't get away from when trying to eat healthier.  You know that secret ingredient "love"?  Well it comes with loving preparing your own food.  There's no love in taking a chicken nugget out of the box and baking it.  The love comes when I'm chopping my chicken breasts to just the right size, measuring my spices, thinking how I feel so good about putting turmeric in my chicken tenders, knowing my kids will be loving their dinner that is going to nourish their growing bodies and give them the energy they need.  Cheesy?  Maybe, but it makes my world go round.

These are Famous Chicken Fingers.  That's what they're called at my house anyways, and I am proud that they have been so-called!  They disappear in a fraction of the time it took to make them, but I'm one of the four not able to help themselves!

famous chicken fingers / tenders

1 1/2 lbs chicken breast (chopped to chicken finger size)
2 cups almond flour
4 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons pecorino romano, grated OR 1/3 cup parmesan, grated
2 teaspoons parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 cup olive oil (or more) for frying


  • Now this step will make it a much smoother process: having a good production line happening.  
  • In medium bowl, beat eggs.  Add chicken pieces to beaten egg and mix well.  Set aside.
  • In another medium bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.  Mix well and transfer to a dinner plate.
  • Pour at least 1 cup olive oil into your frying pan.  Heat to medium/high.
  • Take out a clean plate where  you will put your coated chicken pieces while waiting for your current batch to cook.


  • While your oil is heating up, coat your first batch of chicken pieces and place in clean plate.
  • When a drop of cold water sizzles in the oil, it's ready.  Gently place chicken pieces in oil, one at a time.  Oil should cover the sides or else the sides will be soggy.

  •  Cook for 3 minutes first side, then turn with tongs and cook for another 2 minutes.  When this batch is cooking, get your next batch of chicken fingers coated and ready to go.
  • Removed cooked chicken fingers and place on paper towel covered cookie sheet.  Place in 150 degree oven to keep warm.
  • Once I remove my cooked chicken fingers, using a slotted spoon, I remove the foam and grits from almond flour that have accumulated.  I add a little more olive oil and repeat the process until they are all cooked.
  • Serve this with a homemade honey-mustard sauce(unless on D-Tox or Candida diet).  Just mix honey and mustard in a bowl and adjust to taste.  
  • Enjoy!!!


3 comments:

sue said...

I thought cheese wasn't allowed on wild rose???

Monique Poirier said...

Hi Sue, thanks for your comment! you're absolutely right, I forgot to mention that I would omit the cheese for Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox.

Anonymous said...

Nor flour of any kind but I'm sure you could just use ground almonds. Anyway thought you might try coconut oil instead of olive for high temperature frying. Changed my frying life! ! :-)