Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox - Day 5

Print Friendly and PDF I haven't mentioned yet that it is important to eat as much organic as you can on the Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox.  That being said, following the D-Tox while following the meal plan will still give you great benefits if you don't eat organic.  Most of the ingredients I use are organic, but I won't write it down every time as it really is a personal choice.  But if you can buy organic, even just some of your produce, you'll be better off in the long run.  And for meats, I don't buy much organic meat as it is so expensive, however, I go to the Farmers' Market as well as a local butcher shop and I buy meat that is from animals who were all ethically treated, fed no hormones, no antibiotics and were free range.  All their sausages, deli meats, etc. have no chemicals and no fillers.  Now that's something you can feel good about!

breakfast

apple cinnamon steel-cut oats
Oats is my go-to breakfast on workdays.  Easy to cook at home in the morning, I pour it in a small thermos container and have hot cereal at work!  Click here for the recipe, except this morning I used chopped apples instead of berries.

lunch

chickpea salad with strawberry vinaigrette
4 cups spring salad mix
1 cup chickpeas
1/4 red pepper
10 grape tomatoes
red onion (a few slices)

I used the leftover vinaigrette I made a couple days ago.  For that recipe, check out this post.

snack

fresh veggies
1 cup sliced celery (click here if you'd like a tip on how to keep your celery fresher, longer!)
1 cup baby carrots

dinner
Moroccan Chickpea and Quinoa Soup (serves 4)
***recipe from the Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox Cookbook for Cleansing
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup yam, diced
1 cup cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup raw quinoa (the recipe calls for the same amount of millet, but I prefer to use quinoa)
1 whole star anise or 3 whole cloves
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon nutmed
3 lemon slices
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
pinch pepper
2 tablepoons cilantro, chopped
  1. Saute onion, garlic and celery in olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
  2. Add yams, chickpeas, quinoa, star anise or cloves, cumin, turmeric, nutmeg, lemon slices, water, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until yams are cooked.
  3. Add cilantro and serve.
I like to prep my ingredients before starting to cook this soup.  It takes about 20 minutes to prep.  This is a delicious soup!

snack

I got hungry in the evening and had another bowl of the soup I made for dinner.

No comments: